Certain skills are usable both in battle and in the overworld. There are three different ways that these can influence Otto’s environment.
- Some skills are only usable in combat, like Otto’s active ability.
- These are designed exclusively for operations within a battle context, usually simply differing values of lowering or raising garde for enemies and allies.
- Outside of battle, some abilities physically alter the environment.
- Otto may have an ability to push certain types of boxes around, or leap over certain small gaps. These open up Otto’s world as he learns more skills, but are only usable in the overworld.
- Some of these are able to be used in both the overworld and battle contexts. There are abilities that can be used in dialogue, such as being able to deliver jokes to positively influence a relationship with an NPC or smooth talk your way into new opportunities.
- Otto may be able to deliver a Distracting Gag, helping him avoid an enemy in the overworld, but delaying oncoming attacks in a battlefield.
- Otto might be able to Hype Up in battle to lower the time unit cost of abilities, but in the overworld this will help him run a little faster.
- Otto’s Graceful Exit might be able to get him out of a battle he doesn’t want to be in anymore, but when he’s up to his waist in danger in some far-off speakeasy, Graceful Exit can provide a swift escape back to the outside world.